Slightly Self-Obsessed

Friday, October 4, 2013

Awkward Can Transcend Language Barriers

We're in the middle of China's National Week. It's basically like Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July for a whole week. Pretty sweet, right? On top of that, we don't have work! So, naturally, we've been sitting at home not doing a whole lot. Today we decided to make a concerted effort to leave the house. We needed a few things so we decided to walk to the grocery store. We even decided to walk to the grocery store that's further away! It takes us about half an hour to walk there. We thought we were doing ourselves a favor.

For some godawful reason this damn grocery store, Vanguard, keeps the temperature about ten degrees higher than it is outside.

I blame this heat on the government shutting down...
In a country thousands of miles away.


It's probably not on purpose. Most likely they just refuse to use air conditioning because that costs money. Same reason that even though you will find drinks inside of a fridge, they will never be cold. China is a house of lies. But anyway...

Bry and I grabbed everything on our list and headed to check out. We've had this system going where she doesn't bring her purse, I pay, and she carries all our reusable shopping bags. Well, Bry was just about to start bagging when I open my purse and spot that my wallet isn't in it! I could have sworn that I'd checked at home to see I had money. Where was my wallet??? I turned to Bry in a panic and told her. I then turned to the cashier, and, blushing, showed her the inside of my empty purse. "没有钱!" (I don't have money!) She nodded that she understood and began moving our things aside. Luckily there was no line.

I turned to Bry as we moved to leave and went to fan myself. It was so hot. That's probably why I got so flustered and left my wallet. I reached under my arm and- MY WALLET. I had pulled it out of my purse and was literally holding it in my armpit. I quickly turned back to the cashier, even more embarrassed than before, and showed her I found it. We proceeded with the transaction.

As we walked out of the store, in silent shame, I was glad that no one but the cashier had witnessed what had happened.

Is it still a walk of shame if no one else knows that it's happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment