Slightly Self-Obsessed

Thursday, January 20, 2011

French 2

Today my French class had to split into two groups: buyers and sellers. I got stuck as a customer and had to ask the merchants how much their goods cost. I needed to buy a ring, gloves and a French book with only 270 euros. The goal was for the merchants to try to rip us off and for us to try to be super frugal. I failed miserably. At the end of the game I had 50 euros left. The point of this story, though, is that I accidentally ripped off Felicia Day. Alright, I didn't but it felt like it. 


The first person I tried to buy something off of was a guy selling a ring but someone else cut me off and started haggling with him in front of me. Jerk. I turned to my left and saw Felicia Day. Or, rather, this girl with brown hair who acted like Felicia Day. I told her confidently that I needed a French book. She looked me in the eyes, opened her mouth and... nothing came out. Her mouth had moved but I hadn't heard anything I could understand. I couldn't tell if it was because I didn't recognize the words or not. I asked her to repeat herself. She did. I realized I couldn't understand her because her voice was no louder than a whisper. All I made out was the word "dix". Ten. Sweet! She was selling me her book for ten freaking euros. DEAL! I paid her and walked away. 


At the end of the game, and after more haggling, I realized that one of the words I couldn't make out was "cent". One hundred. Uh oh. She was trying to charge me 110 euros. I had totally ripped off the mousy Felicia Day look-a-like and she had been so shy or quiet or whatever that she totally just let me. I felt horrible. And it hadn't even helped me win the game. What a horrible waste of accidental horribleness. 
She will never forgive me.
Speaking of foreign languages...

2 comments: