Slightly Self-Obsessed

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Last Date

My latest assignment in my Dramatic Writing class was about burning bridges. We were supposed to write a scene where something happens and makes it so that nothing will ever be the same from that point on between the two characters.


Last Date
By Rachel Fix
WILLIAM, grad student, age 23
MARIE, grad student, age 23

                                                                                   (The scene opens on WILLIAM and 
                                                                                    MARIE in a  restaurant, laughing.)

WILLIAM
I really don't want to sound cliche but this has literally been the single best first date I've ever been on.


MARIE
No, I know exactly what you mean. It's that much more amazing that this was a blind date, too. And my first one at that! I was so worried. You could have been any old weirdo George is friends with.


WILLIAM
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I guess I'm just full of cheese and cliches tonight but you have the most striking blue eyes.


MARIE
So do you, which is odd because I'm not normally attracted to other people with blue eyes.


WILLIAM
Me neither! I usually melt over green eyes. Gosh, we just have so much in common. Even our childhoods were similar. I never would have figured I'd meet someone else who was adopted.


MARIE
I'm the first for you? I've met plenty. The university I studied at for my bachelor's degree had a meeting about it once. They tried to get us all to be friends or something.


WILLIAM
Oh, so you're not originally from here either?


MARIE
Oh, no. I may not have a strong accent but I'm originally from New York.


WILLIAM
What a crazy random happenstance! That's where my birth mother was from. That's all I really know about her, though. I've always wanted to go to New York. Return to my roots and all. Is it pretty there?


MARIE
You know, you really do have the most striking blue eyes.


WILLIAM
Why thank you. I don't normally hear that a lot. They're so pale that a lot of people find them odd looking.So, is New York- I'm sorry, are you getting a call?


                                                                                (MARIE pulls her cell phone from her purse and uses                        
                                                                                the reflective screen to look at her face.)


MARIE
Such striking blue eyes.


WILLIAM
Well... yours are lovely, too?


MARIE
What did you say your birthday was?


WILLIAM
I don't believe I did.


MARIE
What day is it?


WILLIAM
You're scaring me...


MARIE
It's September 16th, isn't it?


WILLIAM
How did you know that? Did you steal my wallet?


MARIE
Don't you see?! Look at me. I'm the spitting image of you! Our birthday is the same day. Both of our birth mothers are from the same state. How is this not connecting in your head?


WILLIAM
You couldn't possibly be suggesting that we're...


MARIE
I think we are.


WILLIAM
Oh my God, I held your hand during the movie!


MARIE
There's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure brothers and sisters do that all the time.


WILLIAM
What about when you let me get to second base in the theater?


MARIE
That we're going to need therapy for.


Lots and lots of therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment